When buying new appliances you have to consider the long-term cost of your purchase.
1. What is the operating cost e.g. water, electricity, detergent, wear on dishes?
2. What is the social cost of using a bunch of energy?
3. How long does the appliance last?
And these are balanced with:
1. What is the price of the unit?
2. How long will you live there?
Then you get the sticker shock: $1000-$1500. EEEEKKSSS!!!!!!!!!!
I can get a sweet Jenn Air or GE for $700. Are they really so much less efficient?
I’ll need to do the math on this, but at first glance from the Energy Star chart above I don’t see the cost even equaling out.
Any input on this would be great. Can I expect my ASKO to last for 20yrs? That might change my mind. Or am I just paying out the ASKO for a Swedish dishwasher?
EDIT: THERE’S A $100 REBATE THROUGH THE END OF JUNE. I HATE REBATES.